Subject: [Leica] M8 Impressions, Pro and Con, correction
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Nov 16 05:21:04 2006

At 08:58 PM 11/15/2006, you wrote:
>  Over time, the lens can become
>dense enough that it decreases vision and it can then be removed
>surgically and replaced with a new one made of plastic.   After
>surgery, Its amazing how patients report how bright colors are before
>commenting how clear things look.  The cloudy lens that is removed is
>called a cataract.
>Richard

Thanks, Richard.  One year we had an ophthalmologist go with us to
Honduras to do cataract surgeries.  Cataracts a big problem in both
Honduras and Guatemala.  We bussed people in from rural communities
to a sterile operating room we had set up.  I scrubbed up and
assisted in the surgeries while photographing the operations.  I used
my 100 Macro lens on the R6.7 and got great close-ups of the
cataracts being removed and the new lenses slipped in.  It was one of
the most amazing things I've ever seen.  It only took minutes for
each patient but made such a lasting difference in their lives.  We
removed cataracts from several children, too.  My optometrist here is
the one who made the arrangements for equipment and doctor who did
the surgeries.  We hope to set up a mobile unit in Guatemala to do the same.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from rclompus at mac.com (Richard Clompus) ([Leica] M8 Impressions, Pro and Con, correction)