Subject: [Leica] Anyone test SF-20 with M8 yet?
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Nov 13 10:47:34 2006

At 01:06 PM 11/13/2006, you wrote:
>All this talk about "A mode".
>
>What about TTL mode?

As far as I know, that's only available with the new SF24.  I don't
think anybody's got that one yet.  Here's what Dpreview says:

"The modern metal blade slot shutter in the LEICA M8 enables very
short flash synchronisation times down to 1/250 of a second.  In
addition, the LEICA M8 for the first time uses the new M-TTL flash
technology.  The special feature of this is that immediately before
the actual flash illumination, a calibration pre-flash is fired.  The
TTL metering detects the light reflected from the surface of the
subject, and determines the exact power requirement for the main
flash.  The smooth addition of the flash lighting power to the
ambient light allows flash pictures that have the appearance of being
under natural lighting.

The "Auto Slow Sync" function permits the use of aperture priority
mode in combination with flash technology.  This provides a balanced
background to the picture, even if the intensity of the continuous
lighting changes.  To achieve the correct lighting, an appropriately
metered brightening flash is used.  Depending on the desired effect
or experience, varying lengths of lighting time can be set for the
aperture priority mode.  This can be input manually, or if coded
lenses are being used, is can be determined automatically, using the
proven rule of thumb "1/focal length = lighting time in seconds".

It sounds fine unless you do the kind of photography that I do, where
I try to be invisible.  Nothing like 2 flashes to say "Hey! Look at
the camera!"

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com