Subject: [Leica] Capture One with M8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Nov 8 21:36:18 2006

Alastair, actually there's a clue in your response. "I often went to bed
happy and woke up
miserable as all the images I'd printed would look "cast" in the morning".
You very likely viewed the print (or monitor) under
different lighting conditions. Unless you have a calibrated viewing light
(area) colour is always going to be subjective and
influenced by outside factors. Pardon me if I'm stating the bleeding
obvious. Interesting point that I hadn't considered before is
that digital capture is more like colour neg regarding subjective colour,
although probably more tranny like regarding exposure?
Now regarding Tina's samples, Tina has sampled the white sail area in each,
setting that as nearly pure white, that is the three
channels each close to the maximum value. Those values being equal or close,
there is little or no colour cast in the highlights.
Ideally you could perform the same channel neutralising for the black point
and mid grey (if you can select a mid grey point in the
file).
I agree, regarding the colour temperature of the samples. To my eye, the acr
version is warmer (appears more yellow) and the Phase
One cooler (more bluish). My view would be that correcting either to taste
would not be difficult. Not at all surprising that each
prog has interpreted the file differently. Really I think that the major
difference is in saturation. On my (calibrated) monitor the
Phase One example appears over saturated. More importantly, as Tina said, I
think both progs have done a creditable job and produced
very usable files that can be adjusted, just as any image with good tonal
range and resolution can be. There is a whole other thread
probably regarding the bit depth of those DNGs. It makes a big difference
very likely, when you start messing with the tonal range.
Cheers
I love Photoshop
Hoppy