Subject: [Leica] Capture One with M8
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Thu Nov 9 02:51:41 2006

On 09/11/2006, at 16:36, G Hopkinson wrote:

> Alastair, actually there's a clue in your response. "I often went
> to bed happy and woke up
> miserable as all the images I'd printed would look "cast" in the
> morning". You very likely viewed the print (or monitor) under
> different lighting conditions. Unless you have a calibrated viewing
> light (area) colour is always going to be subjective and
> influenced by outside factors. Pardon me if I'm stating the
> bleeding obvious. Interesting point that I hadn't considered before is
> that digital capture is more like colour neg regarding subjective
> colour, although probably more tranny like regarding exposure?
> Now regarding Tina's samples, Tina has sampled the white sail area
> in each, setting that as nearly pure white, that is the three
> channels each close to the maximum value. Those values being equal
> or close, there is little or no colour cast in the highlights.
> Ideally you could perform the same channel neutralising for the
> black point and mid grey (if you can select a mid grey point in the
> file).

Yeah, I know what went wrong, but no matter how hard you try, colour
is always different. Its not science, its gut feeling

> I agree, regarding the colour temperature of the samples. To my
> eye, the acr version is warmer (appears more yellow) and the Phase
> One cooler (more bluish). My view would be that correcting either
> to taste would not be difficult. Not at all surprising that each
> prog has interpreted the file differently. Really I think that the
> major difference is in saturation. On my (calibrated) monitor the
> Phase One example appears over saturated. More importantly, as Tina
> said, I think both progs have done a creditable job and produced
> very usable files that can be adjusted, just as any image with good
> tonal range and resolution can be. There is a whole other thread
> probably regarding the bit depth of those DNGs. It makes a big
> difference very likely, when you start messing with the tonal range.

I may have them the wrong way around. When I make colour images for
the gallery (my hallway!!!) I always make them in one batch so the
"flavour" stays the same for the whole exhibition. Mixing colour
images is very difficult, and so I leave that to Helen ;-)

Cheers

Alastair

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Capture One with M8)