Subject: [Leica] RE: Piemonte 2006
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Oliver Bryk)
Date: Wed Nov 8 14:53:22 2006

Hoppy wrote:
"Oliver, these have a stack of interesting local detail. I'd like to sit in
that cafi with the panoramic view.
I'm not familiar with that film but these seem to be a little cool, light
and restrained in colour? Maybe I've overdosed on Velvia of late?
Cheers
Hoppy"

Thanks for looking and commenting. Optima 100 is probably closer to the
opposite end of the scale from Velvia when it comes to saturation. My
eye-brain system sees highly saturated scenes usually at higher elevations,
and IME Optima renders the colors there accurately. I selected Optima about
20 years ago from among several color negative films when I was doing MF
landscape work in the Colorado Plateau country, the High Sierra, and the
Rockies. Think about the saturation of the tiny wildflowers in the mountains
or the reddish sandstone, deep blue skies, and white clouds of the American
Southwest. Professional color printers have told me consistently that Optima
is an outstanding material and that it was entirely the fault of Agfa's
on-again, off-again marketing that the film did not do as well in the
American market as it could have. But I digress. Too bad it's no longer
being made.
Oliver