Subject: [Leica] Autumn Color
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed Nov 8 12:27:39 2006

I just posted three new pictures in the LUG Gallery.

The berries and twig were shot digitally on a Canon EOS with what I call my
V-Elmar or Velmar.  It's a modified (by me) 135mm f/4.5 Elmar, ca. 1931.
It gives similar results to the 9" Wollensak Verito on my 4x5 Graflex, thus
the V prefix.  Here's the whole story:

   Since I can't afford a Thambar, but like old fashioned diffused focus
sometimes, I made my own.(But I have to use it on a reflex camera)  I
bought an old, non coupled 135mm Elmar for $ 25.00.  By taking out the
front set of elements, then unscrewing the rear one of these slightly, and
putting back the now separated set, I got spherical aberration that varies
with the f stop.  Wide open there's quite a glow around highlights;
stopping down diminishes this glow gradually so by f 9 the lens gives
almost the original sharpness.  Stopping down further, it's normal.  My
favorite settings are approxf 5.6, f 6, and f 6.3.
I found a Leitz 135 short mount tube that I coupled with a Leica to Pentax
adapter, and a couple of thin extension tubes fitted to various T-mount
adapters. I can use this lens on Olympus, Pentax screw, Nikon, and Canon
EOS.
It's tricky to focus since the point of maximum contrast in the finder is
not the optimum focus setting to get a sharp image overlaid with the glow.

The links:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/V-Elmar+Berries_AMR.jpg.htm

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/V-Elmar+Twig_AMR.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Fall+Leaves_AMR.jpg.html