Subject: [Leica] Canon G7; viable choice for a Leica M user?
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Sun Nov 5 09:01:09 2006

Jack, the G7 is a decent point and shoot camera. In my opinion, a
better choice might be the A640, which is 10 MP, has a better lens in
my experience, and offers the advantage that it uses AA batteries -
rechargables are best, of course, but off the shelf ones in an
emergency. The A series do not allow raw capture, but again in my
experience do a very good job of internal conversion to jpeg. The
A640 does not have the optical image stabilization that the G7 has,
but this may not matter to you.

Having said that I just bought a D-Lux 3 yesterday, and my first few
snapshots with it are very impressive. Great lens! The 16:9 aspect
ratio may take a little getting used to, though...

Will von Dauster