Subject: [Leica] DMR M8 workflows
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Nov 4 23:35:38 2006

Hi Alastair,

FWIW, here is my workflow.

1) Take the pictures--no chimping or deleting in-camera. I shoot RAW
exclusively.
2) Copy the contents of the CF card(s) into a "Canon dump" folder on my
computer.
3) Go through that folder with a suitable image browsing tool (ACDSee
when working on the PC, Photo Mechanic when working on the Mac) to weed
out the losers.
4) The remaining RAW images are copied to an external hard drive as
backup no. 1.
5) I then open the images in Photoshop and make all the levels, cropping
and other corrections as needed. The resulting images are saved as TIFF
files and are also backed up to the external hard drive.
6) The images that I want to print or post on the web are sharpened and
saved as PSD files.
7) The images that I post on the web are of course converted to JPEGs.

A second backup of the RAW and TIFF images that have resulted from the
above is made by burning these files onto archival DVDs (which I keep in
my office). Once this second backup is made, I delete the files from the
computer, keeping only the PSD files there. I do not backup the PSD
files, since the only difference between those and the TIFFs is the
sharpening, so if my internal hard drive crashes, I can easily recreate
the images from the TIFFs which are backed up in two places (external HD
and DVDs).

Hope this helps.

Nathan

--