Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 43: More snippets
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Nov 4 23:26:50 2006

Hi Hoppy,

As always, thanks for looking and commenting. To answer your questions:

> Nathan, the political campaigner is a very good social image with dress,
> posture and bearing of the two people. At least it's gentle
> colourful politics with no frenzy or adversity.

The political campaign here is really low-key by the standards of most
other countries. The current government is a centre-right coalition, the
main opposition party is the Labour Party, whose leader, Wouter Bos, is
very popular. But the sitting government has a lot going for it, not
least the strong economy and consequently very low unemployment. Most of
the colour in the campaign is provided by fringe parties like this
animal rights outfit, or the anti-immigrant right.
> Regarding, our scrabble pic, I'm checking the words on the board for any
> sign of parental cheating or mensa applicant language. So
> far I only see short words and nothing long or clever extending to the
> triple word scores. Lovely pensive poses for the kids.

No fancy words, our Scrabble skills are fairly basic, and we do not play
very often.
> The shot of the man reading the newspaper is a beauty, with just the right
> separation from the background, using the 135. Lovely
> light. Did you make a conscious decision to retain the bicycle? I think it
> works, but wanted to ask because my first simple instinct
> might have been to crop it out. Always so much to learn from good photogs
> here.

The dirty truth is that the image I posted is heavily cropped, perhaps
1/4 of the frame. I was sitting on a bench about 10 metres from this
guy, and in the full frame there are a lot of distracting elements in
the foreground, such a rubbish bin and someone walking by. When I
cropped the image, I decided to keep the bicycle handlebars in the
picture to give a bit more context.

Cheers,
Nathan

--