Subject: [Leica] convert to DNG? sweet barking cheese! NO!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Nov 4 23:06:47 2006

On 11/4/06 7:57 PM, "Philip Forrest" <photo.forrest@earthlink.net> typed:

> You could just store your negatives in archival pages, in a dry case (the
> proverbial "shoebox") and dig them up in 10 years for use.  No information
> loss that way.  No need to keep an ancient copy of Photoshop CS around.
> Sorry, I just had to.
> Phil

There IS information loss though with negatives.
Every day in every way.
Your negatives are getting fadier and fadier.

Nowhere as fast as paper silver gelatin prints. Even archival paper silver
gelatin prints.
But negatives are analog information in substrates and layers of this and
that which are in flux. We know not when or what they are going to do next
under which conditions. Time itself being the big question mark. I don't
believe in bathing them in UV lamp banks to try to replicate a time machine.
There has to be a big wheel spinning behind the thing. And Warlocks. And
Yvette Mimieux as Weena. All I know is... In the year 2525 your negs are not
going to be easy to print using methods we know now what. They will be fig
Newton's of your own imagination in THAT regard. But they may make great
hyperkinetic self substantiating holograms. Those should be invented around
the year 2424.
You just set them on the table and spin them and they keep spinning and
spinning then a little man jumps up and says...

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope!

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY