Subject: [Leica] Rockport Leica Seminar - M8 Impressions
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Nov 2 08:53:09 2006

Dave,

Not a question of courage, but simply that I knew that I would not be
shooting much film once I had started using a DSLR, so I could not
justify keeping several thousand $ worth of stuff gathering dust on
the shelf. I did keep the CL and 40mm Summicron, and one of my R
lenses, the 100mm Apo Macro, which I use on the Canon from time to
time. I also kept the 21mm CV Color Skopar.

If I were to buy an M8, I would primarily buy CV lenses--my
experience with them has always been very positive, and with the
sensor being smaller than a 35mm film frame, I would not be using the
edges of the lens, where the bulk of the quality difference between
Leica and CV lenses is to be found. Based on my shooting needs, I
would be adding the 1.9/28mm Ultron ($444) or 1.2/35mm Nokton ($819),
2.5/50mm Color Skopar ($289) and either the 2.5/75mm Color Heliar
($295) or the 3.5/90mm Apo Lanthar ($315). Not exactly overwhelming
from a financial point of view. (All prices from Stephen Gandy)

Nathan

On 2-nov-2006, at 16:07, David Rodgers wrote:

> Nathan wrote:
>
>>> ...I sold off all my M lenses in 2004...<<
>
> Nathan
>
> That took some courage to sell off your Leica gear. I sold all my M
> lenses that I could live without. Surprisingly, I had some duplication
> :-) But I kept all my lenses of recent vintage.

SNIP