Subject: [Leica] Rockport Leica Seminar - M8 Impressions
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Nov 2 07:07:40 2006

Nathan wrote:

>>...I sold off all my M lenses in 2004...<<

Nathan

That took some courage to sell off your Leica gear. I sold all my M
lenses that I could live without. Surprisingly, I had some duplication
:-) But I kept all my lenses of recent vintage.

I shoot about half digital with a D200 and half film, with Leica M.
About 95 percent of my D200 shots are with a 17-55/2.8 DX.

I started using digital for color and stayed with film for BW, but now
I'm shooting both with both. I stopped thinking about or rationalizing
about digital vs film. I just shoot what I feel like at the moment, and
it varies, based on my mood and the situation.

I've always used multiple systems. I guess the DSLR has replaced MF for
me. Film has become the contemplative medium, which MF used to be. A
DSLR is for grabbing shots quickly and economically, much like 35mm film
was before.

The M8 is unique. But many who've let the M system have become
accustomed to zoom lenses with superb AF with fast, flexible focusing.
How many will want to go back to prime lenses with manual focus?
Probably many who are familiar with the M and it's uniqueness. But
what's going to make a young photographer lust after an M8 over the
plethora of other digital choices? Are the things that sold people on
film M's in the past still in force today?

I bought my first M because it was used by many photographers whose work
I studied and admired. The fact that Leica M's lasted forever, required
little maintenance, and held their value helped me to bite the cost
bullet.

The Leica M eventually became my favorite camera hands down. But it
wasn't love at first use. It took me about six months to really fall in
love with it. I was accustomed to using an SLR (with prime lenses no
less. I wasn't really a fan of zooms until digital).

I stuck with it because I was on a quest for image quality, particularly
in low light. Back then the camera and lens was critically important for
just about everything. Leica M lenses were (and probably still are) the
pinnacle of quality.

Today it seems the lens plays a lesser role in image quality. It's
possible companies have narrowed the gap with Leica. More importantly
many new factors have come into play. For instance, software didn't even
play a role before. Now it's critical. That includes camera firmware as
well as post processing applications. Whereas before we had a camera
lens and an enlarger lens, today we have RAW file converters, noise
reducers, sharpening algorithms, etc. Not only is firmware important,
but the knowledge and skill to use programs over which we have control
is key, too. (I apologize because I know I'm just reiterating what we
all already know).

I'll probably buy an M8 because I love the M system. That's reason
enough for me, though I'm in no hurry. Plus, the M system still is
unique in many respects. However, if I'd sold my lenses and had to
replace them too......ouch!

daveR

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Rockport Leica Seminar - M8 Impressions)