Subject: [Leica] M8 & Depth of Field
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Nov 1 00:57:29 2006

Hi Wai Leong

I'm not shure about that. Yes, the DOF marks on the lenses are no longer
correct when used with a M8 - but the other way round. I don't make any
calculations - am not really interested in the mathematical aspects of
photography - but a few months ago I did just a few empiric tests with the
same 50mm/1.2 lens wide open on a M6 and a R-D1 (with it's crop factor of
1,5). It seems to be the opposite - on the R-D1 shots there was visibly more
DOF. Same lens/smaller format = MORE DOF.

It is my general experience that the bigger the formats get, the narrower
the DOF is with the same focal length/aperture. On 6x6 negatives with
100/f2.8, I have a DOF about as narrow as with 50/f1.4 on small format. But
as said, these are no academic calculations, just estimations out of my
modest experiences.

Didier

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] M8 & Depth of Field)
Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] M8 & Depth of Field)