Subject: [Leica] M8 & Depth of Field
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll)
Date: Wed Nov 1 04:26:44 2006

Hi to all the messages John, walt, Heining, Adam, Leon, Didier...

Once I've read the different opinions I think that DOF is a relatively
concept, the illusion of sharpness diminishes when you enlarge a picture,
but accepting this relativity, what I think that's evident that every format
has his own lenses designed for based as standard or normal lens the
equivalent to the diagonal of the format. If we use a 50mm lens on a smaller
format that's would imply a decrease of DOF if we take a picture of a
subject at the same distance, on other words, a 50mm will become a "short"
tele and consequently at the same distance and aperture the DOF will
decrease. On the case, if you take the picture at more distance, due to the
small tele effect, I think that DOF will decrease too, based on the
relatively concept of DOF you have cropped the picture area and will obtain
consequently less DOF.

Thanks for your all interesting opinions,

Saludos desde Barcelona
Luis

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] M8 & Depth of Field)