Subject: [Leica] Some questions and thoughts about the M8
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Oct 29 11:55:10 2006

The menu issues are about terrible human interface design. The DMR has
about the best I have experienced and the M8 looks as good. The Canon
1Ds MK II has the typical Japanese GUI - let's adjust EVERYTHING and
have about a zilliion different settings. Brain death. Sadly the
European design ethic has been forsaken in cars these days - BMW,
Porsche... they all have awful electronics design - no sophistication
at all - geeky engineers and their toys inflicted on the driver
relentlessly. We haven't bought a new BMW for exactly that reason -
iDrive makes getting into a 5 these days too frustrating.

Sigh.

On the color issue - if you shoot in color and then have to convert to
black and white...it's not the same as only working with the black and
white image - the color seduces you away.

And it's important to point out that digital and film are different
media and will have different characteristics...just as color and B&W
film are different media. We're just beginning to really explore
digital. If folks feel threatened by digital and it's reliance on
manipulation in a computer then just stay with film. But know that
it'll be increasingly difficult over time.

Adam