Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Oct 25 17:04:05 2006

The issue isn't just how many M8 bodies Leica will sell - and I'm going to
guess 2500-3000 the first year, and less in the second - but rather what the
release of the M8 will do to film camera sales. As we know, Leica is barely
afloat; the R8-9 has been a loss leader for some time, and the M6 and M7
were steady, if modest, sellers. But with the introduction of the M8, one
has to wonder if the sales of new M7s will dwindle to next to nothing,
because people are unloading their film Ms at bargain prices to purchase
M8s, making used cameras much more inviting than new ones. So it's unlikely
the M8 will really add to the Leica bottom line, as, 10 years ago, an
entry-level M film body might have, but rather will drain film sales. Of
course it may turn out that the company will succeed in developing a new,
digital, business model which will revive it and keep it going. It's going
to be interesting to watch.

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] M8 and the Future)
Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] M8 and the Future)
Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] M8 and the Future)