Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital newbie question.
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Oct 23 15:31:56 2006

Larry, I think the question is why do you NEED an M8?
If you have a drawer full of Leica gear, then, of course, you can continue
to enjoy the same results with plenty of film still
available. Certainly less labs and stockists but it's all still doable, I
think.
For when you require the convenience or advantages of the digital output,
you have your E500. No question that this camera and its
lens system will produce the goods. But since you had that one it would be
possible to add a Leica influenced/badged lens if you
wanted to see if there was a justifiable difference vs the Zuikos etc?
In my view, Leica seems unlikely to move onto a successor for the M8 anytime
soon. I think they would be an exception to the short
model life cycle of digitals. Might be waiting quite sometime to pick up a
bargain M8 secondhand, too.
Maybe we might see another digital RF from another maker that uses the M
mount before any other model from Leica.
Now of course if it's just that you WANT an M8 (and who doesn't?) then all
logical argument is out the window.
Cheers
Hoppy