Subject: [Leica] M8 Should Follow D200 for lens selection
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Oct 21 08:52:21 2006

On 10/21/06 10:52 AM, "Leonard Taupier" <len-1@comcast.net> typed:

> Now you're talking good stuff. I find the 180/2.8 and the 85/1.4 AIS
> lenses to be fantastic on both the D200 and the D2X.
>
> As far as the menu issue on the M8 goes, the reason to tell the
> camera what lens you're using is to correct vignetting due to the
> extreme angle a wide angle lens gives to the edges of the sensor. The
> coding on the new lenses is a cheap way of partially emulating a CPU.
>
> Len

I find using an old ai 28 2.8 or 55 2.8 macro on my d200 very in the Leica M
mode of shooting sure its a stretch. I feel very compact and manual. And non
program with my hand on the aperture ring I feel very much more in control.
And with the lenses themselves being a half to a quarter the size and weight
of the big AF-S ED IF zooms.
And also with my fingers on the focusing ring on the lens..
And things all in all feeling much less plasticy and more solid and metal
like.

Mark Rabiner

Now located on Central Park West
At the North West Tip of Central Park