Subject: [Leica] Dog wrangling - guns, kids, and saying "cheese"
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Fri Oct 20 14:44:33 2006

Frank

To anyone not familiar with the terminology it could be just about any
thing that goes bang. Just because a group of people get together and
poke holes in paper does not mean their weapons are sport shooters.
M14's, M16's, AK47's and at one time M-1's were appropriately called
assault rifles. ( although I can't remember if the Marine Corps called
them that in the 60's) The government calls them assault rifles, the
military calls them assault rifles and I seriously doubt me calling them
assault rifles makes me wrong. I'll bet the fellow Princess Di was
killed with called them assault rifles as well.

As far as versatility and accuracy are concerned, who knows. I'd gladly
pick up a .308  bolt-action sporter if the "bad guy" was three or four
hundred yards away getting ready to act like Rambo. All the flat
shooting, small bore and high velocity weapons are good up close. My
preference would be to stay as far away as possible from folks who
didn't like me. Let them get too close and 12 ga. Winchester pump works
quite well. Additionally. I don't think I insulted competitive shooters.
I competed in the Marines about 100 years ago with rifles and pistols.
One thing though, These folks Kyle is working on seem a bit round the
bend to me. Posing with their "sporters" while kids run around and play
with the dogs?  There is momma with her Glock while dad gets ready to
protect the family with his AK47?

As far as your statement defining an assault weapon? Who knows? Maybe
it's sport when the victim is paper or tin and assault when the victim
bleeds. I for one don/t find the idea of blowing holes in animals sport
but many will argue that. I do think bullfighting is a sport though and
that might put me in the minority.

Walt