Subject: [Leica] Infrared ans autumn
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Fri Oct 20 07:26:00 2006

Nice photos, Jim. Brings back memories when my parents would bring us
to Maine every year as kids in Massachusetts. I shoot a lot of IR
these days but have converted to digital in B&W mode. I find the end
result has less grain then film and has the same ghostly look as
film. You have to be careful what digital camera you use though, as
IR sensitivity will vary a lot with different models and camera
brands. I find the Nikon D1 series to be just fine. D2X and D200 are
poor for IR. For film IR I find my M6 is perfect. You can keep the
filter on for framing and focusing. Makes shooting very easy. It'll
be interesting to see how the M8 handles IR. That would be the best
of both worlds.

For false color IR I also use my digital SLR. For a filter use 2
linear polarizers and adjust them both until the viewfinder goes to
its darkest point. Since you can view results right away you can
experiment with exposure until it's just right. Foliage goes magenta,
sky is deep blue and clouds are puffy white. Very striking.

Len