Subject: [Leica] Re: Rebadged 4/3 lenses
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Oct 18 19:26:31 2006

Larry, Leica has already announced its version of the Panasonic L1, being
the Digilux 3. My personal view is that this is
unattractive compared to the M8, for a Leica user. Of course as part of the
four thirds group it's reasonable to have a body within
their range, just that it seems to have been made redundant by the M8, for
that particular market segment. Still, I suppose sensible
to have an option should the M8 not be successful in the market place.
Without meaning to stir a controversy, I'm always puzzled by
the way that lens system has gone. I mean the physical size (diameter) of
the lenses for what could otherwise be a compact system. I
am aware of some of the technical issues there, still it seems odd in
comparison to the "APS-C" type sensor cameras. Olympus made
considerable representations when the system was launched regarding starting
with a clean slate for an SLR system.

Cheers
Hoppy