Subject: [Leica] Visoflex on MP (II or III, bellows or....)
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Oct 17 16:10:14 2006

At 06:44 PM 10/17/2006, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Beyond that - the Visoflex may be a marvel of optical engineering - or
>enginoptics, but what has that got to do with its use for real photography
>in the real world? (And yes, I did own one many years ago, and thought it
>was a nifty gimmick.) It doesn't turn an M camera into a useful reflex
>camera, it turns an M camera into a rangefinder camera with a whopping tumor
>at the end of its nose. As many a photojournalist found in the 60s and into
>the early 70s, if one was a rangefinder shooter, there was no need to invest
>in a reflex system - Nikon F body, 105 2.5, 200 f4, and you were good to go
>- along with your M2, M3, and range of lenses from 21 to 50 mm. ;-)

With respect, BD, you are missing the point.

If you are heavily invested in Leica RF gear and
have no SLR at hand, then spending $300 or so for
a Visoflex rig makes sense.  If you already have
a Nikon F or Canon F1 set on hand, that changes
the equation quite a bit.  It is just a matter of
convenience.  If you already have the Leica RF
gear but no SLR, why spend thousands of dollars
to invest in another system, an SLR, which is
marginal to your interests?  eBay has made Viso gear REALLY cheap.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Visoflex on MP (II or III, bellows or....))