Subject: [Leica] guns, photography, and the american psychosis
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Oct 19 20:37:03 2006

I own an Argentine Mauser rechambered in .30-'06,
equipped with a 3X-9X x 30 riflescope made by the
Arsenal Works in Kiev.  I also have a Remington
700 chambered in .22-250, a most fascinating
round, and a Ruger .22 match pistol, along with
some other odds and ends which came into my
household when I got married -- my wife is far
more experienced with small-bore weapons than am
I, but then she grew up on a farm and lived on
one until shortly before we met.  I keep the .22
pistol in the bedroom but the others are stored
in one room with the bolts and ammunition in a
safe in another room.  I haven't shot in the past
six or seven years but I will probably take that
Remington 700 out this winter just to see if the
bullet lives up to its reputation (the .22-250
has a .22 bullet with a huge powder load and is
supposed to be a bit more capable than the 5.56mm round in the M16).

I live in a suburban area outside of Richmond,
Virginia.  A lot of my neighbors have guns,
incidentally, though we generally don't discuss
them and I've never done any sort of formal
survey.   Virginia recently adopted an amendment
to the State Constitution guaranteeing the right
to hunt and fish.  I don't hunt but I do fish,
though I now find myself a fly fisherman 125
miles from the nearest trout and 250 from the nearest native trout.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] guns, photography, and the american psychosis)