Subject: [Leica] LHSA meeting in Wetzlar; Leica Camera AG
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Oct 12 06:44:53 2006

Well, my thoughts are that the camera records the corrected data AS the RAW
file.  Yes, the EXIF may tell you which lens, but
basically, the corrections are already done.  I guess you could go backwards
and un-correct in the computer, but why?

Think of this as correcting a lens aberration.  After the engineer has
corrected out the aberration, why would you ever want to put
it back in?  Why would you allow the user to fiddle with the control?

I think there is a more compelling reason to build it into the camera....
Then you do not need to hire some programmer to write a
special add in for some ( or MANY !!!!) computer programs to make it
actually work, then maintain that software for all eternity on
all the platforms, and with several versions of SW revisions....  Given that
this is the first ( and maybe only for the forseeable
future) camera company to need or employ individual pixel gain calibration,
it is not an easy job to convince PS to incorporate it
into their program.  It would need to be supported by Leica.  Personally,
this would be my reason to build it into the camera, if I
were King.

I have always thought that 6 bits, or 64 different algorithms sounded small
for all the past lenses, plus all future lenses from
Leica.  If corrections were based upon FL, then you might need.. ( 14, 16,
18, 21, 24, 28, 35, 50 )  something like 8 different
states for the indicator... not 64.  If it were based upon angle of optical
rays, then each lens design would require its  own
correction algorithm.  64 sounds small....  ( 14, 16, 18, 21 Tri-E, 21 SA,
21 Elmarit, 21 ASPH; 24 Elmarit, 24 ASPH, 28 Elmarit V1,
V2, 28 ASPH Summicron, 28 ASPH Elmarit, 4 versions of the 35 Summicron, 3
versions of the 35 Summilux, ASPH versions of each, 10
versions of 50 Summicron and other F2, another 6 or so versions of the 50
Summilux, etc etc....) but maybe that is right...

As soon as someone has a real life camera, this question will be quickly
answered......

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] LHSA meeting in Wetzlar; Leica Camera AG)