Subject: [Leica] Bryn Mawr, PA
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Oct 2 12:03:08 2006

I'm sure you realize, Phil, that the fact that your scans of your slides
aren't up to the quality you see in your slides doesn't prove anything -
except that your 4490 scanner (hardly the be-all and end-all in scanning)
combined with your scanning skills can't produce scans that are the same as
what your eyes see in the slides. Before you can say that the "50 year old
technology still trumps digital capture," perhaps you should compare digital
capture to the 50-year-old technology - because, of course, there is nothing
in your post about digital capture:
Put a full-frame digital SLR - say the Canon EOS1DS MkII on a tripod, next
to whatever film camera you're taking. Shoot the same scene, with the same
lens, and equivalent exposures - after you've calibrated for the camera's
sensor, make adjustments in Photoshop, because of course you'll be shooting
RAW and the image will need sharpening and the same kind of contrast
adjustment the film gives the scene, and then begin to make comparisons.

It's great that you're happy with the "50 year-old-technology;" but please,
let's talk real comparisons if you're going to make comparisons. ;-)