Subject: [Leica] wing window now SAAB
From: rhc3vt at hotmail.com (Richard Coutant)
Date: Tue Sep 26 15:56:20 2006

In the 70's and 80's I was a 'true SAABist', owning literally dozens of the
old three cylinder two-strokes, from a suicide-door model 93 to a couple of
850GTs and Monte Carlos.  Talk about unreliable but charming cars...  I had
an 850 with a motor that had been built up for ice racing, that got about 12
mpg on the highest octane premium gas you could find, plug life was measured
in hundreds of miles, there was absolutely no way to make it idle, it had a
straight two-inch diameter exhaust with no baffles that would shoot balls of
flame like a giant Roman candle while blipping it at stoplights. I could go
on and on.  I carried a full set of spare parts at all times under the back
seat.  Once I tried to detune it by retarding the timing and it seized up
solid at about 20 below zero on a January night in Vermont.  I pulled number
2 plug and stuck a flashlight over the hole and there was the crankshaft,
big as life.  I remember getting a friend to help me carry the motor up to
the third-floor apartment where I lived, and rebuilding the thing in the
bathtub.  I cried when I sold it.  They were terrifically photogenic cars.
I shot whole rolls of slide film with my old Spotmatic of the 850 and my
1947 Studebaker pickup, parked side by side or nose to nose.  For years I
had a whole yard (or field) of parts SAABs which my ex-wife used to refer to
as the 'mulch cars' and the children would sit in and play 'Drive to
California'.  But there was never anything as much fun to drive fast on a
dirt road.
Sadly, I now have a Camry that I've owned for six years, a V6 five speed
that's a perfectly fine car but about as exciting as owning a refrigerator.
And I don't think I've ever taken a photo of the Camry just because I
thought it was beautiful.

Richard