Subject: [Leica] 3 week trip to Italy: VC II or MR-4 meter?
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Sep 20 01:39:17 2006

Hi G

If the MR-4 meter (I don't have one) can be coupled with the M3 speed dial,
it will be the faster deal. Otherwise the VCII is likely faster to use. The
LED's allow a quick reading while keeping one eye at the viewfinder; which
is even more useful in available light situations. The VCII has a range from
EV1 (1sec f1.4) to EV20 (1/2000 f22). Don't know the MR-4's range, but most
likely it's smaller. Once I had used a VCI in a dark concert place, with
Ilford Delta 3200, Summicron 50@f2 and approx. 1/15 speed, where it was
quite accurate. The M6's meter was partially dropping out in this situation.

The VCII has a measuring angle of about 30?, which roughly corresponds to a
85-90mm focal length. So if you use it together with a 50mm lens, it makes a
center weighted measuring pattern similar to the M6. I consider this
metering pattern as being the most useful for my personal taste.

To conclude, the VCII would clearly be my choice for that trip.
Enjoy Italy - and especially the italian food and wines!

Didier

ps: If you're in Rome, visit the San Ambrogio e San Claudio Church with it's
beautiful golden framed frescos - a pleasure to photograph, see
http://tinyurl.com/nopa5

Replies: Reply from nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts) ([Leica] 3 week trip to Italy: VC II or MR-4 meter?)