Subject: [Leica] Re: Video of M8 (Meaningless comparisons)
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Wed Sep 13 13:28:29 2006

Hi George - I was a computer programmer/analyst back when the
machines cost over $100,000 and PC's barely functioned. Your argument
implies that the comparison is between two non-evolving kinds of
equipment, just like mainframers argued that those little toy
computers would never amount to anything. The P&S cameras are
breaking creative ground at a clip that makes the pro digital cameras
appear to be standing still - just like PC's did to mainframes.
SImple P&S cameras today are miles beyond the pro digital cameras of
only a few years ago. "High-end" computers of years ago were rapidly
made obsolete by the "throw away" personal computers that advanced so
quickly. Same thing will happen with the technologies being used in
the P&S camera arena.

Ignoring the comparison of a broad range of  digital cameras
today  will be like thinking that COBOL will forever be the computer
language of the future. I try to predict some of the future of
digital cameras at
  http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa-2006-04-30.htm

and did a review about a year ago lamenting the lack of creative
design in the area of pro digital cameras at
<http://reviews.ebay.com/Olympus-C-8080-Rangefinder-Camera-vs-DSLR-Approach_W0QQugidZ10000000000004230>http://reviews.ebay.com/Olympus-C-8080-Rangefinder-Camera-vs-DSLR-Approach_W0QQugidZ10000000000004230

or http://tinyurl.com/en3wv

I believe that many P&S innovations will make their way into the pro
cameras; indeed some  P&S style cameras may overtake the pro cameras,
just as networks of little PC's took over mainframe computer rooms.
So now is a great time to do some serious comparisons, especially
since so many current pro cameras appear to be made as though they
still should hold film and are like the mainframe dinosaurs that
mostly disappeared.

Gary Todoroff
Datamaster Designs
Eureka, CA  95501