Subject: [Leica] Elmar or Summaron?
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Mon Sep 11 08:29:52 2006

Let me be the lone voice here in praise of the unesteemed 35/3.5 Elmar.
Part of the problem with this lens is that almost every example I've seen
needed cleaning, even if it didn't appear to.  I bought one that had been
cleaned internally, and while it isn't the finest performing 35mm lens that
I have used (I also have a 35/2.8 Summaron in bayonet mount, a 35/2 Canon
and 35/3.5 Nikon in LTM and numerous other 35mm lenses, including the 35/28
Biogon in Contax mount for comparison), I have a special fondness for this
lens because of its extreme compactness and decent performance.  It is great
on a LTM camera, but its real joy comes when you use it elsewhere. Mount one
on a M6 and your experience of the camera will be transformed -- it slips
effortlessly into a pocket and the balance is perfect.   I was not
particularly taken with my 35/3.5 LTM Summaron and sold it off a couple of
years ago.  Haven't missed it.

Mark