Subject: [Leica] Cosina/Voigtlaender Nokton 50mm f1.5
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Mon Sep 4 15:02:11 2006

There are some other flaws to this lens. The focus feel on
my Summicron is smoother than with the Nokton.

Again, no rigorous testing, but me and my gal both think
that the Summicron 50 seems to manage the highlights a little
better than the Nokton 50. (She takes few pics but has much
better eyes than I do. Go figure.)

Also, the Nokton 50 has a 52mm filter size. The provided hood
isn't so hot, and with that filter size, VF blockage is an issue.
Using some standard rubber hood is pretty much out of the
question in this regard.

But there may well be a 52mm vented shade out there on eBay,
and if so, that would address this problem.

I'll also add that I think the Nokton 50's bokeh is reasonable stopped
down a little bit, with a fairly smooth transition from in-to-out-of focus
areas.  IMO, it doesn't have an "ugly signature" that I might ascribe,
say, to the Nikon 50/1.8 AFD, a brutally sharp lens that also has some
flaws. (But still a great bargain as well, given it's overall performance.)

Still, all in all, the 50/1.5 is a pretty "well appointed" lens for the
price,
in my opinion. I'm hanging onto mine for when that one extra stop
makes a difference.

Scott

p.s. Someday, I'm going to go into iMatch and annotate every
darn photo with the lens I shot it with so I can pull up examples
conveniently. Someday :-)