Subject: [Leica] OT: the horror
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Sat Sep 2 15:13:23 2006

Back in the good 'ol days when real men used real computers that cost
a half million each, IBM used a term that made a lot of sense -
"VTOC" for Volume Table of Contents.  Since a disk drive was a
"Volume" it made sense that the VTOC referenced the data that was out
there on the hard drive, just like the table of contents in a book
references the chapters.

Since the disk magnetic pick-up arm spent most of its time over the
VTOC, ready to reference the next program data request, that was
where it was most likely to have a problem. A "crash" was when the
mag head, actually "flying" barely above the disk surface, would
accidentally touch the surface. Also the VTOC could become corrupted
by a few scrambled bits and become unreadable. In both cases, since
the "door" to your data was the VTOC, an unreadable VTOC meant that
you could not get to your data. But the data was still out there on
the hard drive - log files, deleted files that had not been
overwritten, and current data.

Recovery labs have special software that identifies the data without
having to go through the VTOC. Today on PC's  the disk table of
contents is called the FAT for File Allocation Table - a stupid name
that barely describes how much really happens there. That name along
with a lot of other idiocy is what happened when the kids took over
computers, writing a compact operating system that would allow them
to play computer games on old 4k memory DEC PDP-8's that were sitting
in the corner. That small OS become DOS, which became Windows. One
fellow programmer years ago said that building applications on a
Microsoft operating system was like constructing the Taj Mahal on a
foundation of toothpicks.

So Frank - easiest "proper" disposal of your ST225 - use that high
tech tool called a sledge hammer. Software tools can do it, too, but
cost more than old drives are worth and take a lot of time, too.

Gary Todoroff