Subject: [Leica] Katrina relief pin-up calendar--Bro Nagin
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Aug 30 00:14:33 2006

Christopher Williams wrote:

Kenner and Metairie we created when the "better off" wanted to escape the
poor and riff raff of the city of New Orleans. But yet New Orleans was on
higher ground.

Both suffered severe damage so this man made disaster did not just effect
the poor.

-------------------

Nah, those are *relatively* low rent upper middle class 'burbs. I'm not
concerned with the doctor/dentist working stiff crowd in regrads to my
inquiry.

I'm talking real wealth - as in, not having to work for a living, ever.
Or your children, or their children.

I was talking about old (hence my term, "historically"), urban,
and hardcore wealthy neighborhoods of the monied classes - places
like Back Bay in Boston, Foxhall in DC - stuff like that (fill in your
favorite examples).

Is the Garden District the equivalent in N.O.?  Dunno. I'm curious,
how did it fair Katrina?

Scott

p.s. While the media seems to characterize Harvard as a "lefty"
place, it's actually a wonderful place to meet bright young people who
are so RICH that they will *NEVER* have to work a day in their lives
(like most of their parents before them).

I recall 18 to 21 year old boys crying in the Dunster House courtyard
the day the market crashed in '87, including Robert Ziff (largest t-shirt
collection I ever saw), one of the heirs to the magazine fortune (he and
his brothers sold it off - why concern themselves with mere business?).

I shacked up with a girl, "Libby," briefly in "Deedee" Danforth's house.
She bought a nice G'town townhouse to live in while attending lawschool.
Her dad was the Senator, but more signifantly, heir to the Ralston Purina
fortune. They had very nice, expensive art on the walls.

Another nice 24 year old girl I knew had a townhouse with a *huge*granite
fountain - in her kitchen.  And less well heeled wives are so proud of their
granite counter tops - if they only knew :-)

Really, the stories go on an on, I had a friend, Jonathan, who asked if
he could miss class for an upcoming out of town board meeting - he was
a 19 year old sophmore at the time.

Even at my prep school, they got us interested in Edgar Allan Poe with a
spoof of "The Raven" where the refrain is "Buy a Ford" instead of
"Never More." Like who would actually own a Ford? You get the idea.

BTW, Just observations.  I'm very much just a poor working class punk
at heart, one who luckily liked to read and happened to test very well :-)