Subject: [Leica] BW Pano of Whitby from Lythe Bank
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Aug 22 04:46:54 2006

Douglas there's no doubt you have a lot of potential retained in those RAW
files. I've read recently that some photographers are doing multiple
conversions on files like this (one for the highlights, one for mid-tones
etc) then combining them for a defacto HDR type effect.
Certainly the example I saw was impressive.
I don't have a dslr at this stage, but don't you tend to expose similarly as
for slide film, as in not to blow the highlights?
Don't write off the transparency film for when it suits you though.
I mean also regarding for later conversion to b/w. There's an enormous
amount of control once scanned as you would know, and especially if you are
sampling from the slide at 16 BIT vs 12 BIT(?) of the RAW. Just so many
extra tones to assist in the file integrity as you need to manipulate the
image range.
With the very fine apparent grain I've been very happy with some b/w
versions of Astia/Velvia slides.

Must be very nice indeed to have the option of what you capture on through
that lovely glass. Doug Herr and you would be the best exponents of how well
that system works.

Cheers
Hoppy