Subject: [Leica] Restoration Project
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Aug 22 22:37:13 2006

Jim, I went through this exercise with a scrap of photo (stuck on the back
of another print) that showed my grandfather and great grand father. Same
scanner, in fact.
Since the photo is obviously of great family importance, you can afford to
ignore how much labour you put into a reproduction. (a labour of love).
If you do a good high resolution scan then put away your original, you can
play to your heart's content. If your efforts don't work out you can still
go to a professional service with your original.

I notice from the other responses that Tina has posted links to what looks
like an excellent resource as well. I'll be looking at getting that one for
myself, also. Tina has good taste in photo books!

Firstly I would suggest scanning with your 4990 at a higher resolution than
you would normally use for a print original. You could try 600dpi? Even if
you ending up with a big file with some info you will discard it will do no
harm in your master scan. Unless you particularly want to preserve the aged
appearance of the original you may like to consider a grey scale file. After
manipulating the file you can tone it again if you wanted. Once you have
that high quality scan, I'd seek some good advice on preserving the
original. I would think acid free wrapping, cool dark and dry?

Make a copy of the master scan and keep it aside as well.

I suggest that, if you have Photoshop, you do all of your correction in
there, rather than the scanner's software.
If you are starting with a high bit scan you will have much more room to
adjust the tones where you are seeking to bring out more detail and
contrast.
Unsharp mask can likely be bettered with the new smart sharpen or some of
the plug-ins have great options too. Don't sharpen till you get to the end
though.

Hey just send me the scan and I'll have a go as well and send it back

Cheers
Hoppy