Subject: [Leica] On 50s
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 20 21:53:00 2006

Ric,
The Sumitar is about as good as the first generation Summicron with the
Summicron having a flatter field.  You will find that the older Summicron
that you have is the first version where they were trying to take dollars
out of the lens and therefore it really is only modestly better than the
Summitar and that would be from the better coatings.  Where you want a
modern more micro-contest image you will find the latest Summicron to give
you that look.  So, where size and weight matter take the Summitar and
either use a good hood or try not to shoot in high flare situations.

For the best of both worlds, track down a Zeiss 1.5 Sonnar or its Russian
clone.  Very nice image, good contrast, and very small; frequently available
from $60 to $300 depending on whether Russian or Zeiss aus Jena.

Don
The other fifty collector who now has three versions of the Summitar and I
think six versions of the Summicron now.