Subject: [Leica] On 50s
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sun Aug 20 17:44:55 2006

Okay, I now there are several 50s freaks out there.

No, not as in baby boomers or as in Bill Haley fans;^) ? I mean 50mm
lens afficianados.

I didn?t much care a 50 until I started using Leica. I have become
quite attached to them though.

Without intention, I find myself with three 50s now: a Summitar LTM
(980 xxx Wetzlar), a second generation ?Cron (209x xxx Wetzlar ~?65-6
chrome), and a fifth version ?Cron (316x xxx Canada ~?81-2 black).

I understand the size advantages of the Summitar collapsed and that
it?s not a bad performer.

I am just now starting using the chrome second version. I am more
accustomed to the black fifth (my first leica lens). So far, the most
disturbing thing about the older version is the infinity lock which
bugs me on distant focusing by locking at inopportune times. It just
seems something else to distract. I have not yet shot enough to
distinguish performance differences.

Anyway, what are your ideas on the relative virtues of each of these?
Are there advantages to each? Is there a time to use one over the other?

Thanks for any thoughts you folks may have.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Passing-Fancies

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] On 50s)
Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] On 50s)