Subject: [Leica] Lens caps
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Aug 15 20:56:52 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 6:01 PM, G Hopkinson wrote:

> If you have a choice between two similar lenses, one cheaper but with
> some
> marks that may not affect the output significantly and one pristine
> but more
> expensive, which one do you buy (to use or collect)?

Depends on my intended use.  If I'm trying out a new concept (i.e.,
280mm for wildlife when the rest of the world says 800mm+ is nessesary)
I'll pick the less-expensive option, and rarely do I see any image
degradation.  If I understand the concept and I know I'm going to use
the lens a lot I'll go for the best sample I can find.

With this strategy, if the idea doesn't work out the financial risk is
smaller and OTOH if I know I'm going to use the lens a lot the net cost
of the lens per photo is negligible and I have more confidence that the
equipment is delivering everything it was designed to.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com