Subject: [Leica] Lens caps
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Aug 15 22:10:44 2006

In answer to all you folks going on about the why-why not-how to clean-not
to clean-don't spit-spit- breathe hard and fog-don't fog yer precious lenses
like they were made out of cream puffs. Let me tell you what the hell all
this whining, doubts and carrying on is all about.... "most of it is sheer
nonsense!" conjured up by lens witches and warlocks! ;-)

The list old timers will remember and have probably been waiting for me to
give you the perfect way to clean all Leica glass. :-)

If in doubt go in the archives and it'll save you a lot of time reading
this.;-) By the same token many of you will still consider I've lost my mind
completely  after I've told you what to do! Trust me this is absolutely
true! :-) I know you don't believe me, but it is! :-) It works like a dream
and better!

All those "cleaning kits, solutions etc." being put forth are fine and I
suppose they work, but why waste yer money on this stuff when a good heavy
breathing moment over the lens for a good fogging. Followed by a solid
rotary rubbing of the lens while using a well worn pair of cotton under
shorts will do the best cleaning job you can ever imagine! :-) Now you're
really figuring this is a put on. It isn't! :-) True!

Yes I said... "Well worn cotton under pants!"  You think that's crazy,
right? Well yer dead wrong because every pair of your cotton under shorts
are being prepared for the best lens cleaning cloth everytime you wear them
and sit on that big patch of material next to your bottom! :-)

Before you dismiss this, think about it ! You sit on the big patch everytime
you wear them working it down to the softest material possible, then when
you feel you no longer need them, generally you throw them away, right?

Don't do that, cut the biggest piece of material out you can and use it as a
perfect lens cleaning cloth! You doubt me? Well I've been doing this for
over 50 years on every kind of lens I've ever owned. All my Leica glass is
cleaned in this manner and fashion, the glass is perfect! Wide open or
stopped down!

There are some obvious things even with this method not to do... if there's
sand grit or similar on the lens blow this off as much as possible, then
with nothing more than the cloth, very very lightly dust the glass clean of
every possible bit you can see.

In most cases this is all the cleaning you'll require for the moment. But
make sure it's a very light sort of fanning the cloth across the lens or one
can use a small camel hair brush.

There are some folks who have the most unbelievable hang-ups about cleaning
a lens it's amazing they ever take it out of the box!

There is one absolute moment to clear all the wimpies out of anyone about
lens cleaning and that's to "watch a Leica Technician clean a lens!" The
first time you see this being done to your or a new $4,500.00 lens you'll be
close to cardiac arrest while clutching your chest trying to keep it
pumping.:-)

If you haven't had the "thrill" of this experience, be fore warned, it truly
is a heart rendering moment you'll never forget! ;-)

So everyone sit back...relax and clean yer good old lens without fear or
fret!! Hot breathing and cotton under shorts are the best and cheapest! ;-)

ted