Subject: [Leica] Will is win big?
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Aug 11 08:15:36 2006

At 10:30 AM 8/11/2006, you wrote:
>Nathan
>
>Honestly, I think your concept of this situation is seriously
>flawed. It is the most perfect example o a "penny wise, pound
>foolish" mentality I can imagine.  I'm not trying to be harsh but
>please try viewing  these events with an open mind. What most have
>missed with the Reuters images should have been easily presented
>when the story broke.  I posted images which showed the scene
>without manipulation, but with increased contrast. The destruction
>in downtown Beirut seemed quite obvious.

http://www.downtownbeirut.com/Genocide/israel-genocide-in-lebanon.htm

Walt - The photos on the site you sent are very disturbing.  I was in
Lebanon a year ago and it's hard to believe how much things have
changed.  I photographed the Cedar Rebellion in downtown Beirut and
talked to the people camped out there who were demanding the truth
about Hariri's assassination and the right to govern
themselves.  Everybody was so hopeful.  I don't think either party is
blameless in this recent conflict.  Hezbollah has the announced goal
of completely eliminating Israel.  How can you negotiate with that?
As Golda Meir said, "We will have peace with the Arabs when they love
their children more than they hate us."  But Israel should also know
that they will be condemned by the world for killing innocent
civilians, even if the targets are Hezbollah sites.

To bring this back to photography, the photos by the Reuters
photographer were blatantly and clumsily altered.  The photographer
admitted he did it.  He should have known better.  They were right to
get rid of his photos.  It's disturbing that such obviously altered
photos were ever published.  Photojournalists should have to record
any processing of their photographs in the metadata history which
would be available to editors.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com