Subject: [Leica] Interesting 50mm variation (eBay shame?)
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Aug 2 20:06:38 2006

Ric, really, you've never been tempted?
As you will read it is a VERY large marketplace.
It also makes available quite a deal of gear that you might otherwise not
see. (Especially if you live away from the big population areas, or
countries)! My personal rule is that I would hope to pay say 20% or more
less than a shop price. Occasionally you might score a real bargain or be
happy to pay more for an item you really desire. That's all part of the
adventure.
There are various tutorials on getting started. The best way is to just sign
up for free and browse to your heart's content until you are comfortable
with how it all works firstly. Pick an item type of interest, do a search
and watch as many auctions for it as you want. You will soon see trends.
Bidding wise, often most of the activity is at the very end. There are
various strategies.
Treat it like a big garage sale where you might find a bargain and also
accept that there is higher risk of buying a disappointment.
The most common payment method, although not universal, is PayPal. Basically
you set up an account with them with a legitimate e-mail address, and at
least one bank account/credit card linked to it. There are reasonable
safeguards, but it's not bullet-proof. That might be said regarding any
on-line shopping. You need to be comfortable with this for yourself.
The convenience for buyer and seller is that it's a very fast and reliable
means of money swapping hands. There are fees for selling and commissions on
PayPal payments.

The basic premise is that most people genuinely want to trade with good will
and honesty. There is a feedback system that reflects the trader's history.
A genuine eBay member will progressively build a good reputation.

Be warned it can be quite habit forming. Three years ago, I shopped for a
replacement slr for one I lost in the 80's. 212 buys later, I'm still going!

Some people have had bad experiences, certainly. I can only quote from my
own. I have NEVER lost a parcel (many of them from USA, Canada etc to here
in Australia). I have been disappointed with only three items out of my
totals so far. I have also saved hundreds of dollars and acquired gear I
would never have located otherwise.
Best of luck checking it all out.

Cheers
Hoppy