Subject: [Leica] OT--Lebanon/ FEMA again?
From: meino at innerside.demon.nl (Meino de Graaf)
Date: Wed Jul 19 12:44:35 2006

May I beg to differ. Atleast the Netherlands, Germany and Italy charge
their country men the full cost of  such an evacuation. I'm talking from
my own experience, in oct 2003 I happened to be at the wrong place, la
Paz, Bolivia. My wive and I arrived the day before el Alto exploded, and
the next day (sunday) we discovered that we were locked up, together
with other dutch, german, italian, australian etc travellers. On the
next friday the EC countries decided to start an evacuation, we had to
leave the places were we stayed and were moved to a "more save
location", On saterday the evacuation started with 2 german tour groups.
We and the other looses travellers were to be evacuated the next day.
Lucky for us, that saterday the president fled the country, and the rest
of the evacuation was canceled. However it was made clear to all of us,
that the full cost of the evacuation, taxis, bus, hotel cost and the
cost of the helicopter+airfares to home would be prepaid by the embassy,
but at home we had to pay the Dutch, german .. goverment the full cost
of the evacuation. We were lucky that the evacuation was cancelled, so
we had only to pay the costs of the transport from the embassy to the
new "save hotel" and the costs of the new hotel.

Meino de Graaf