Subject: [Leica] Mediocre Photographs
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu Jun 29 13:26:13 2006

2006-06-29-16:10:17 Brian Reid:
> I have a good friend whose only criterion for judging quality of
> photographs is how well the skin tones are rendered on people who are not
> Caucasian. Identity is race, race is skin color, and so the capture of a
> person's identity (and hence the quality of the photograph) is entirely
> determined by how accurately it renders the skin color. Nothing else
> matters.

To choose a single arbitrary technical criterion like that and try to
put it in more Luggish terms, how about...

  - The quality of a picture is strongly correlated with the sharpness
    of focus of the near pupil of the primary human subject.

While such a singleminded, purely-technical rule is clearly absurd as
the sole means of judging photos, I must admit that when I'm editing (so
the whole available universe of pictures to choose from has already been
filtered through my compositional sense and seat-of-the-pants feel for
the right moment to push that damned button), an awful lot of pictures
seem to get to live or die based on the above rule.

Discuss.

Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Mediocre Photographs)