Subject: [Leica] was: I have to have this, now "mediocre"
From: chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Thu Jun 29 10:07:12 2006

Point well taken, but over the years I've concluded that the LUG is not the
place to find nor to dispense straightforward, quality critiques of images.
I'm not troubled by this especially.  I simply don't post images here any
more, nor, except in rare cases, do I comment on images on the list (though
I do off-list on occasion).

I like the LUG and the vast majority of its members, but it is (forgive me,
Tina), a haven for a kind of photo-club old boyism, which can grow tedious
to those who look askance at such things.  A handful of members literally
deluge this list with images, which seem to not to represent any conscious
attempt at self-editing, and which are, frankly, mediocre.  It's tough to
comment on an image when one can't quite imagine why the poster feels it's
worthy of close scrutiny, and knowing all the while that any attempted
critique will provoke a circling of the wagons and intractable
defensiveness.

The place has a culture; I'm a member, but I don't participate like I used
to for the reasons stated above.

And yes, I still make images with a Leica.

Cheers!

CHandos