Subject: [Leica] was: I have to have this, now "mediocre"
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Thu Jun 29 09:48:53 2006

Chandos Michael Brown writes in part:

> How bizarre.  BD's Leica portfolio alone (discounting images he's taken w/
> other gear) compares strongly with any that I've seen posted on the LUG,
> most of which are, by my subjective standards, at least, utterly
> mediocre(and I don't exempt my own images from this class).
>

> They're fun to use; they may compensate for the anomie of mass-
> producedlife; but, jeeze, what *can* you say a group of photographers who
> obsess
> over whether other folk will recognize the bloody camera dangling
> from their
> shoulder?
>

> When one posts an image, one invites comment. If one doesn't like what one
> hears, then don't post.  I long ago learned to take editors seriously.  I
> may not agree with their comments, but I contend with them, and it's
> improved my writing tremendously, if for no other reason than it
> forces me to explain why I want to say something the way I have.
>
> Same, I think, holds true for photography.

Indeed it does. The problem with your argument is, unless the original
poster 'comments' were redacted or edited in some way, he wasn't commenting
on a particular or specific post and request for feedback. The comments were
a broad brush slander of image posters who happen to be members of this
list. You and I included.

I believe most of us hobbyists and professionals want a critique good or
bad, not a pat on the back. Afterall thats the best way to improve the next
shot.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown) ([Leica] was: I have to have this, now "mediocre")