Subject: [Leica] developers for BW negs to scan
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Jun 21 20:28:12 2006

Hoppy,
Generally, if you choose to use a D-76 type developer you will achieve a
better ratio of sharpness to grain diluting it 1:1 or possibly 1:2.
Currently, as developers become even more cult like than they have before,
staying with an old stand by like D-76 has much to be said for it.  Most
films will achieve a good outcome as D-76 is the defacto world standard.

I would tell you that I have used Xtol since it came out and have had no
failures but then I usually follow the guidelines.  What Xtol provides is a
higher film speed, longer tonal curve(especially diluted at least 1:2) with
fine crisp grain compared to D-76.  For me, it works as well for old school
films as well as the tab grained films.

There are a lot of developers out there, but I would standardise on
something that either will be available (like D-76) or be prepared to mix it
yourself from base chemicals.  Other old faithfuls that come to mind are
HC-110 and Rodinal.  Each has strengths and weaknesses that only you can
determine if the balance works for you.

As to fine grain slower films, try Acros, Tmax 100, and Delta 100.  I have
found Acros in Xtol to capture some really long tonal curves at the expense
of a rather long development time.  I also like Pan F and the last APX100
which has a unique look that I will miss.

Long term, my advice is to look at prints, find a group that especially
stand out for you on a technical plane, and find out what film/developer was
used then work out a technique that gives you negatives that you like.  For
example, I have to run PanF for 15% longer times than suggested to get
negatives that scan well for me.  Last, stay with one film and developer
combination until you feel that you understand what happens when you adjust
the exposure/time/dilution/agitation quartet.  The last thing that you want
to do is hop around different films/developers/dilutions without coming to
understand what happens under your conditions.  You will never know if it
was a mistake or poor results.

Last, like most things photographic, until you have the craft down well,
there will be no large benefit to straying off the standard materials beaten
path.  Only when you have a process down pat and truly understand and can
predict what will happen when you change conditions will trying all kinds of
different techniques or combinations of materials be of real benefit.  One
caveat is that if you truly hate the look of Tri-X then switch films early
on as you do want to enjoy your work.

Have a great time in the dark.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com