Subject: [Leica] developers for BW negs to scan
From: craig at craigschroeder.com (Craig Schroeder)
Date: Wed Jun 21 20:41:00 2006

I fumbled around with a number of things while learning the ins and outs
of scanning my black & white negatives.  When I switched to PyroCat HD
and some similar home brews most of my scanning struggles went away.  I
was able to get good shadow detail and controlled highlights in my
scans.  I don't own a high grade scanner (a Canon 9950F) but it's quite
capable for what I use it for and perhaps some of my issues were related
to machine limitations.  FP4+ and HP5+ work especially well and give me
easy-to-scan/ink print and easy-to-print negatives for traditional
darkroom work.  The grain masking effect of the developer smoothed out
my scans but the edge effects of this style of developer bring back the
snap where it matters.