Subject: [Leica] Re: Wooden houses
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Jun 18 11:39:42 2006

On Jun 18, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Phillipe wrote:

> Such a pity to destroy this heritage.
> They should promote renovating a bit more over there.
> On the other hand I understand that there is a tradition of building
> wooden houses.
> Which doesn't seem ideal for building long lasting houses.

This point was raised over and over when I lived in Europe. Most
Europeans are unfamiliar with the temperature extremes found in some
portions of the USA. In the Midwest, for example, a winter to summer
temperature swing of 110 degrees F is normal. It was 90 degrees F in
Minneapolis recently and as low as -30 in the winter. Stone and masonry
construction doesn't last long under these conditions. Water penetrates
the joints, freezes and small splits appear in the structure, leading
to more water penetration, etc. Wood tends to expand and contract under
these conditions. The house may creak but it won't fall down. Many
Norwegian stave churches, existing under similar conditions, are
hundreds of years old. Second, and probably more important, wood is
relatively cheap in the US, compared to labor, and stick built houses
can be constructed in a relatively short time with a small number of
workers.

Finally, most communities are in such flux that longevity isn't the
most desirable characteristic of housing. Office buildings in most
urban centers tend to get torn down at 30 to 40 year intervals. It is
true that they can last much longer but it is more economical to
demolish the older structure and build anew. The increased rentals more
than pay for the replacement.

Of course I live in a log cabin in the woods (true).

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Re: Wooden houses)