Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW 23 Demolition in the neighborhood
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jun 18 08:18:28 2006

Philippe,
The house shown was renovated about ten years ago, modernising the kitchen
and doubling the size of the house.  For the most part, American home
construction even for homes into the 7 figures are built pretty lightly,
maybe some stone or brick ornamentation on the outside but definitely no
plans for centuries of existence.  I think that it is the price/bling
factor.  If you build cheaply then you can show off larger rooms with faux
wood floors and imitation granite counter tops with giant bathtubs that the
hot water heater isn't big enough to fill as an in line heater is too
expensive.

On the bright side, about three blocks from me, someone demolished two homes
and is building their dream of an estate.  An architect with some sense used
reinforced concrete as the main skeleton with brick as an exterior using
stone for the arches and highlights.  Even designed a good gutter system to
keep the water fron the inside of the walls if it fails so there won't be
the long destruction by water over time.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com