Subject: Consumerism [was RE: [Leica] Digital Leica M]
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Jun 14 15:14:47 2006

Lottermoser George wrote: Somehow "stupid waste" and "doesn't make sense
to replace" don't play  well together. If we don't get smart about our
"stupid waste" our  grandkids will have some very serious problems. Re:
batteries -  always check Batteries Plus. They claim they can supply
anything at a  very fair price and will properly dispose of the dead
ones. So far  they've proved themselves true to their word.
-------------

I feel that buying things that last is an environmentally
wise thing to do.  It's funny, when I got my first Leica,
I was working with a nice fellow who was a vegan and
very environmentally conscious and so on. But he was
kind of  hippie and living on the cheap was part of his
and his wife's lifestyle.  The Leica was delivered to
the office and he took quite an interest in it.

So when I mentioned that buying expensive things that
will last and are worthy of repair is the only environmentally
sound consumer strategy, he kind of freaked out :-) It
made sense to him, but sort of hit him where he lived.

Maybe there's room in the environmental movement
for a consumer revolution centered on buying things that
last and can be repaired. Who knows?

On a personal note, I've been through 3 DVD players
in the last 2 years or so (buying Consumer Reports
recommended units - Sony and Toshiba). 3 month
warranties - so it's right into the trash with them.

Drives me completely *NUTS*.  Don't see anyway
around this one, so I bought a few years of Best Buy
protection on the last unit just assuming a few units
will break down in the meantime.

Sheesh! Our material culture has taken an insane
turn for the worse.

Scott