Subject: Consumerism [was RE: [Leica] Digital Leica M]
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Jun 14 15:24:39 2006

The technical progress is wonderful!!!!

The issue is just that companies have abandoned ship on the
aspect of quality that makes something last and operate properly
for a long time, makes the item possible and economical to repair
and so on.

Personally, I advocate a tax akin to a VAT, but it's calculated
based on environmental impact throughout the entire production
chain for an item and also includes paying up front for the full
disposal costs (again factoring environmentally sound disposal)
of the item purchased and the average useful lifetime of an item
prior to disposal.

I actually consider this a rather "fiscally conservative" pay-
as-you-go type of policy. I'm really not too much of a tree
hugger.

Sound policy? Dunno. But I imagine folks would be looking
to buy sturdy products that last *PRONTO*.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) (Consumerism [was RE: [Leica] Digital Leica M])